Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Robbers abduct lecturer, injure five students in midnight raid

Osun State Polytechnic Main Gate
A Mass Communication lecturer of Osun State Polytechnic, Iree, Mr. Babatunde Isamoko, was abducted in a midnight raid by a four-member armed robbery gang, which also injured four students.
The robbers, who broke into Isamoko’s apartment inside Oniru’s Compound, along Ada Road, around 2am on Monday, took his Volkswagen Passat car, a laptop, three phones and other valuables.
Isamoko, who was later dumped by the robbers in a neighbouring town, Ada, said, “The armed robbers forced their way into my apartment at about 2:15am. They wore no masks.
“I was manhandled. They pushed me and I fell. That was how I sustained injury to my leg.
 “They took my car, laptop and phones. They forced me into my car and drove away. They later dumped me at Ada. That was around 2:30 am. I had to walk back to Iree barefooted at that time of the night.”
A resident, who preferred to be anonymous, said the robbers also raided a popular residential hall of the polytechnic called New York Hall, where they attacked students with guns and machetes.
During the raid, the robbers shot a Higher National Diploma II student of Business Administration, Nathaniel Apo, in the leg and inflicted machete cuts on four other students.
They dispossessed several other students of phones, money and clothes in the raid, which lasted about 40 minutes.
A student vying for the institution’s student union executive, Mr. Adesina Akinbileje, suffered an injury to his jaw when he jumped from the storey building in a bid to flee from the robbers.
Recounting his experience, Akinbileje said, “The armed robbers forced their way into our hall around 2am. They shot into the air and started attacking students.
“They shot one of us, Nathaniel, in the leg. They also beat other students with machetes. No fewer than four students were injured.
 “I jumped through the window of my room (a storey building) to escape being attacked. I sustained injury to my jaw in the escape. I later alerted policemen and a vigilante group on the telephone.”

Police Public Relations Officer for the state police command, Mr. Taiwo Olugbemileke, said the case was being investigated.
Source: The Punch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...