Monday, July 8, 2013

Bamidele vows to pursue governorship ambition in Ekiti

Member of the House of Representatives, Opeyemi Bamidele  has vowed to snatch the governorship ticket from the incumbent, Dr. Kayode Fayemi during next year’s primaries.
This disregards reported adoption of Fayemi for a second term by ACN leaders at a recent meeting in Ado Ekiti.
In a statement personally signed in Ado Ekiti, yesterday, Bamidele, who is representing Ado Ekiti and Irepodun-Ifelodun Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives, said there was no where, or any meeting attended by the party leaders where Fayemi was adopted to run for  second term.
According to him, the report of the adoption was masterminded by some groups within the party to scheme him out of the race
The former commissioner in Lagos State in the statement, therefore vowed to pursue his ambition with vigour without any retreat or surrender to the wills of his opponents
The statement read in part: “I have read in some of the Nigerian dailies the purported report of what transpired at the July 3, 2013, Ado Ekiti meeting of the Action Congress of Nigeria, ACN, and I find it difficult to reconcile the reports with the contents and actual proceedings at the said meeting, just like many other leaders of the party who were personally in attendance at the meeting.

“ Surely, I am amazed and disappointed that a sincere attempt by leaders of the ACN to resolve the lingering crisis that had existed within the party in  Ekiti was mismanaged by some selfish elements who twisted the good faith call by Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu on party leaders and members in Ekiti to find an amicable manner of resolving the said crisis, including a call on the leadership of the party to immediately reinstate all the ward and local government  structures of the party that had been arbitrarily dissolved without congresses and in violation of the party’s constitution
“ It was an indoor meeting where party leaders freely spoke their mind.
“ Unfortunately, those who are bent on straining my cordial relationship with the leadership of the party went out of the meeting to give a twisted version of the well intended advice by His Excellency, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, insinuating that Asiwaju had endorsed Governor Kayode Fayemi for second term and ‘warned’ me to abandon my ambition.
“I am stating unequivocally that by the grace of God and the encouragement of the well meaning people of Ekiti State I, Michael Opeyemi Bamidele, will be contesting election to be Governor of Ekiti State come year 2014.
“ It is an irrevocable conclusion based on popular yearnings as well as my personal conviction and commitment to human capital development and the creation of a new and united Ekiti
“.No one can come between Asiwaju and I. He gave me an opportunity to serve the people of Lagos State in a senior capacity for 11 years.
“ Having worked as one of his committed and trusted leg boys to actualize his dream of creating a new Lagos,  I am sure Asiwaju will not begrudge me on my ambition to work with other well meaning Ekiti sons and daughters to take Ekiti to the next level
“It is a personal decision for which I am willing to take responsibility, God being my strength. This deliberate mismanagement of information, no doubt, is in furtherance of the series of attempts to push me and my supporters out of the ACN,
“forgetting that even if they had succeeded in doing that, it still would not deter me from pursuing my vision and ambition on other progressive party platforms based on divine guidance and the leading of Ekiti stakeholders home and abroad.
“ I have an aspiration to be Governor, which is narrow and personal to me. But I have an ambition, which is broader than my personal aspiration and it is this ambition to see a new and better Ekiti in place that actually unites me with Ekiti people regardless of political, religious, social or cultural divides.”
Source: VANGUARD, Nigeria

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...